Ah vacation. How many of us just wish we could escape from the crazy day-to-day responsibilities to somewhere far, far away for a week filled with sun, relaxation and fun!
If you got yourself in a runt where traveling costs, restaurants, hotels, etc. is starting to add up and you just can’t seem to get away, then what better vacation then a STAY-cation!
Okay, okay, doesn’t sound to great, right!? But you can make it amazing by following these simple rules:
- Phone off.
- All electronics stored far away.
- No cooking.
- No worrying.
- Absolutely no responsibilities.
Next step, plan for fun just like you would if you were escaping to a destination. Start by setting a realistic budget, set money aside for restaurants, tourist attractions, or anything that you might want to splurge on that you normally wouldn’t.
Spend the weekend before your STAY-cation cleaning your house, lawn care, laundry, anything that might prevent you from enjoying a relaxing weekend.
NOW… time to start officially getting your STAY-cation ready! Need ideas? We’ve got some!
- Picnic at a State Park – before you head out, pack a picnic, bug spray, and don’t forget your camera!
2. Camp in your own backyard! Pitch a tent in the backyard, make a fire, bring the Smore supplies and do not, by any means, enter your house! Okay, okay maybe just for the bathroom, but that is it!
3. Get wet! Go to a beach, waterpark, pool, just find water!!
4. Play outside – remember when you were little and you would spend your days just playing outside? It felt like vacation every single day. Well, you can still do that! Go buy a kite, frisbee, toss the football around, etc. just spend your day playing in the sun!
5. Go paddle-boarding or canoeing. If there’s a river, lake, ocean, whatever it might be the chances are pretty good that they’ll have a rental facility. Have fun testing out your skills on the water!
The hardest part about “relaxing” at home is learning to just let go. So this summer make it a point to turn that phone off, stop worrying about responsibilities and take a weekend to just unwind and have a STAY-cation!
Whitney & Andrea