In honor of our favorite holiday, National Wine Day, here are 20 fun facts about wine you may not know! Whether you are a wine drinking beginner or consider yourself a wine expert, these are fun, information wine facts to have in your back pock. Happy National Wine Day everyone! Drink up!
1. Red wine stains can be removed by soaking them in milk, salt, kitty litter, or shaving cream.
2. A “butt” was a Medieval unit of measure for wine. A “buttload” of wine is equal to 126 gallons.
3. France is the largest exporter of wine, covering. 34.9%. Italy comes in second with 18%.
4. After 90 minutes of consuming a glass of wine, the alcohol begins to tell the body to burn more fat. Ditch the cardio and pour a glass of wine instead!
5. There are 125 calories in a glass of red wine and 120 in a glass of white wine.
6. Resveratrol, which is a compound found in wine that comes from the grape skins, can help reduce the risk of cancer. It slows the growth of cancer cells and causes them to literally cannibalize themselves. I’ll drink to that!
7. There’s almost double the amount of sugar in a glass of white wine as there is in a glass of red wine.
8. There’s a 34% lower mortality rate in wine drinkers than beer or hard liquor drinkers.
9. There are 10 different shades of rosé
10. People who consider themselves professional wine drinkers, often cannot tell the difference between a cheap and expensive wine
11. There are 10 words you should know when tasting wine:
Aroma or bouquet: The smell of a wine — bouquet applies particularly to the aroma of older wines
Body: The apparent weight of a wine in your mouth (light, medium, or full)
Crisp: A wine with refreshing acidity
Dry: Not sweet
Finish: The impression a wine leaves as you swallow it
Flavor intensity: How strong or weak a wine’s flavors are
Fruity: A wine whose aromas and flavors suggest fruit; doesn’t imply sweetness
Oaky: A wine that has oak flavors (smoky, toasty)
Soft: A wine that has a smooth rather than crisp mouthfeel
Tannic: A red wine that is firm and leaves the mouth feeling dry
12. Women get drunk faster from wine because of their water to fat ratio. Women’s bodies have more fat, which doesn’t absorb alcohol. Therefore, the alcohol does not spread as much as causes women to get more drunk quicker.
13. The ancient Greeks had a wine glass to ensure the drinker’s moderation. If wine was poured above a certain level, the cup spilled its entire contents out of the bottom.
14. You can open a bottle of wine with a shoe string. See that and 6 other methods here.
15. You can have a monthly subscription to wine. They will analyze flavors you like and personally pick out bottles they think you’d like and have them delivered right to your door.
16. Wine contains 13 minerals that are essential to human life.
17. Although today we drink wine casually, it used to be intended to pair with foods and sauces to bring out flavors.
- Sparkling wines are meant for poultry, seafood, creamy sauces and cheeses.
- White wines are meant to be paired with fish, salads, and sour flavors, like lemon and lime, and desserts.
- Rosé (our favorite) is meant to be paired with cheeses, pastas and fruits.
- Red wines are meant to be paired with sharper cheeses, red meats, and salty dishes.
18. US residents consume almost 900 million gallons of wine every year.
19. Wine makes you a better dancer.
20. There should always be a bottle of wine in the house. For emergencies…
Whitney & Andrea